Fibromyalgia Awareness Month may not be until May, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make the most of every opportunity for people in the fibro community to share their stories and raise awareness of this often misunderstood illness.
Sharing facts about fibromyalgia on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook can help educate the public about what it’s like to live with the condition. To help you get started, we’ve put together some basic fibro facts, with help from allsup.com.
- Fibromyalgia is considered a condition rather than a disease because there are no specific causes or recognizable symptoms. A syndrome is a collection of symptoms and medical issues that occur together but cannot be attributed to an identifiable cause.
- There is no cure for fibromyalgia. Treatment is centered on managing the symptoms of the syndrome and making life more comfortable for those who live with fibro.
- While men and children can develop fibromyalgia, 90 percent of sufferers are women.
- Fibromyalgia affects all ethnic groups equally.
- Diagnosis usually occurs in young women between the ages of 20 and 50, but as a person gets older they are more likely to develop fibromyalgia.
- By the age of 80, around 8 percent of people meet the criteria of fibromyalgia from the American College of Rheumatology.
- Widespread pain is the number one symptom of fibromyalgia. People living with the condition will have tender spots in various places on their body and will feel pain much more than those without the condition.
- Chronic fatigue and psychological issues are also common symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.
- The pain can be so debilitating it can interfere with everyday tasks and completely overtake patients’ lives.
- Fibromyalgia often overlaps with other health conditions such as anxiety disorders, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression.
For More Information Related Fibromyalgia Visit below sites:
Fibromyalgia Contact Us Directly
Fibro Women Blogs
Chronic Woman Blogs
Chronic Illness Blogs
Official Fibromyalgia Blogs